Mar 3, 2010

Dr Seuss' Birthday

The library here had a special birthday party for Dr. Seuss. The children were supposed to dress up like their favorite children's book character. Dustin and Thomas decided they wanted to be Peter Pan and I figured Garret did not have an opinion yet so I was going to dress him up as Biscuit (a little yellow dog). That would really only take some paper ears and good enough. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to make Peter Pan costumes when someone suggested pillow cases. This sounded like a good idea so I went to Wal-mart to buy pillow cases. They were on a really good sale so they did not have any green ones. I decided that I could make something like a pillowcase and make it work so I bought some material instead. When I was measuring Dustin and Thomas, Garret wanted to be measured too so I did. As I was making the costumes Garret told me he wanted one. I asked him if he wanted to be Peter Pan or Biscuit. He said Biscuit but I decided to make him a Peter Pan costume and then he would have one either way. I was glad that I had bought material instead of pillowcases because I would not have had that option. When I showed Dustin the costume when he got home from school he was excited and he said are we going to have hats? HATS! I forgot about hats. I had extra material so I decided I could make hats but I was not sure how I would make them stand up. I did not want to go buy felt. Steven came up with a great idea for hats and the morning of the party I made hats. Once the hats were done I remembered that I needed feathers for the hats. At this point it was too late to run in to Logan because Steven had to go to work and I would not have a car. I tried some local stores and got nothing. I had left over red material from their sashes but I really wanted feathers. I finally found some small felt pieces at the Dollar Tree and had to settle for that. With 5 min before we had to leave I hurriedly cut out feathers and safety pinned them to the hats. Garret had decided that morning that he really did want to be Peter Pan so I got the costumes on them and we ran across the street to the story time. The boys thought they looked cool and I was pretty proud of my creations. People thought there were Robin Hood or his Merry Men but there is really not much difference in those two costumes anyway. I am sure one of them would have looked like Peter Pan but because there were 3 of them they looked more like Merry Men.





On another note this morning Nathan did not want to eat his cereal so I gave him a pancake and left him to eat it. Unfortunately I left his cereal on the table and Garret decided that Nathan needed it so he gave it to him, talk about a mess. It can not be described so I will post a picture.

2 comments: